COUNTY OF PLACER
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
TUESDAY, JULY 25, 2006
Bill Santucci, District 1, Chairman Thomas Miller, County Executive
Robert Weygandt, District 2 Anthony J. La Bouff, County Counsel
Jim Holmes, District 3 Rich Colwell, Chief Assistant County Executive
Edward “Ted” M. Gaines, District 4 Mike Boyle, Assistant County Executive
Bruce Kranz, District 5, Vice Chairman Holly Heinzen, Assistant County Executive
Ann Holman, Clerk of the Board
County Administrative Center, 175 Fulweiler Avenue, Auburn, CA 95603
Resort at Squaw Creek, Grand Sierra C
400 Squaw Creek Road
Olympic Valley, CA 96146
FLAG SALUTE - Led by Thomas Miller, County Executive.
STATEMENT OF MEETING PROCEDURES - Read by Clerk.
PUBLIC COMMENT – Rosemary Frieborn, Newcastle resident, thanked the Board for Hidden Falls Park and the Board’s dedication to Placer Legacy. Rosemary Frieborn, Friends of Placer County Animal Shelter, commended staff for its recommendations on the Capital Facilities Plan and requested the Tahoe Vista Shelter and Kings Beach Library be included. Kim Bromley, Placer County employee and PPEO Shop Stewart, advised they support the union bargaining team.
SUPERVISOR’S COMMITTEE REPORTS – None received.
CONSENT AGENDA – Consent Agenda approved with action as indicated.
1. ORDINANCES – Second reading:
a. Community Development Resource Agency - Ordinance 5425-B adopted amending Chapters 2 and 3 of the Placer County Code establishing the department of Engineering and Surveying and approving the revised specification for the Director of Engineering and Surveying.
b. Personnel/Civil Service Commission - Ordinance 5426-B adopted amending Chapter 3, Section 3.12.010, Allocation of Positions to Departments and Section 3.12.020, Schedule of Classification and Salary Grades Classified Service relating to the Sheriff, Account Auditor I/II be amended to Accountant Auditor Senior; Health and Human Services, Administrative Services Office Senior be amended to Budget and Fiscal Operations Manager, Cook Senior be amended to Client Services Counselor I/II/Senior; Facility Services, Administrative Clerk Senior be amended to Administrative Technician; Redevelopment Agency, Account Auditor I/II be amended to Accountant Auditor Senior; and new classification of titles of Chief Deputy Coroner and Application Support Technician be added.
2. WARRANT REGISTER - Weeks ending June 9, 16, 23 and 30, 2006.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS PAGE 2
JULY 25, 2006
3. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS:
a. Resolution 2006-220 adopted commending Bill Schulze, Chief Building Official, Building Department, upon his retirement.
b. Resolution 2006-221 adopted in support of the 4th Annual “Tour-de-Tahoe - Bike Big Blue” to be held on Sunday, September 10, 2006 around Lake Tahoe.
c. Authorized a special meeting on Wednesday, August 16 and Thursday, August 17, 2006.
d. Approved minutes of June 13, 2006.
4. CLAIMS AGAINST THE COUNTY – Rejected the following claims, as recommended by County Counsel:
a. 06-053, McDonough, Phillip, $140 (Property Loss).
b. 06-068, Keith, Karen, $300,000 + (Bodily Injury).
c. 06-069, Rice, Daniel, $2,498 (Property Damage).
5. COMMITTEES & COMMISSIONS:
a. Foresthill Forum Advisory Council - Approved appointment of Martha E. “Marty” Vroege to Seat 3 and Brenda Dabovich to Seat 7, as requested by Supervisor Kranz.
6. COUNTY EXECUTIVE - Approved a merit increase for Rich Colwell, Chief Assistant County Executive Officer, from Grade 683, Step 1, to Grade 683, Step 2, retroactive to June 24, 2006.
7. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/EMERGENCY SERVICES - Resolution 2006-222 adopted approving the FY 2006/07 Northstar Fire Department Capital Facilities Plan Update that includes a 2% mitigation fee increase.
8. FACILITY SERVICES:
a. Foresthill Fire Protection District - Approved agreement with the District for administration and maintenance of emergency accesses fuel load reduction and fire breaks as related to fire protection needs for the Monte Verde Estates Subdivision, located between Foresthill and Auburn, funded by County Service Area assessments.
b. Mining Museum Building - Approved lease agreement with the Twentieth District Agricultural Association, at the rate of $1,210 per month, for the Mining Museum Building at the Gold Country Fairgrounds, Auburn.
9. PERSONNEL - Approved a Side Letter of Agreement with Placer County Public Employee Organization (PPEO) regarding the implementation of salary adjustments for the professional engineering and surveyor classifications and ordinance introduced, first reading waived, amending Placer County Code Chapter 3, Sections 3.12.020 and 3.12.030, classified and unclassified service salaries for engineering and engineering management salaries.
10. PERSONNEL/CIVIL SERVICE COMMISSION – Ordinance introduced, first reading waived, amending Chapter 3, Section 3.12.010, Allocation of Positions to Departments, reflecting the reclassifications of one Account Clerk Entry/Journey position to an Accounting Technician in the Sheriff’s Department, one Homemaker position, to a Client Services Assistant I/II in the Health and Human Services Department, and one Administrative Clerk Entry/Journey position to Secretary Entry/Journey in the Facility Services Department.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS PAGE 3
JULY 25, 2006
11. PROCUREMENT SERVICES - Authorized the Purchasing Manager to sign the following:
a. Change Order, Ergonomic Chairs/Countywide – Approved change order to Blanket Purchase Order #13440 with Jacobs Office Interiors, in the revised amount of $81,000.
b. Contract, Inmate Pay Telephone Services & Equipment/Telecommunications - Renewed with AT&T (formerly SBC/Pacific Bell).
c. Surplus Vehicles & Miscellaneous Equipment/Public Works - Declared vehicles and miscellaneous equipment as surplus and authorize disposal by public sale.
12. REVENUE SHARING:
a. Approved appropriation of $250 in Revenue Sharing monies to Roseville Chamber of Commerce, 11TH Annual “SPLASH 2006”, as requested by Supervisor Santucci.
b. Approved appropriation of $500 in Revenue Sharing monies to Placer Union High School District for the Theatre Creators “Summer Theatre Academy 2006”, as requested by Supervisor Holmes.
c. Approved appropriation of $250 in Revenue Sharing monies to Placer Community Action Council Inc., for the 4th Annual “KidZKount Golf Tournament”, as requested by Supervisor Holmes.
***End of Consent Agenda***
13. ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICES – Reviewed staff presentation on the progress of the County’s Website Management Project and provide further guidance as appropriate.
14. COUNTY EXECUTIVE:
a. Agreement - Approved agreement with the North Lake Tahoe Resort Association for FY 2006/07, in the amount of $3,762,864, to promote tourism and benefit business through efforts that enhance the economic, environmental, recreational and cultural climate of the area.
b. Budgeted Infrastructure Funds - Approved the North Lake Tahoe Resort Association’s proposed expenditure of budgeted infrastructure funds, in the amount of $185,000, for the Reno-Tahoe Airport Shuttle. MOTION Kranz/Holmes/Unanimous
15. PUBLIC WORKS/FORESTHILL SLIDE REPAIR – Resolution 2006-223 adopted authorizing the Public Works Director to sign and approve a professional services agreement, with County Counsel review and approval of necessary bonds and insurance, with a consultant from the County’s Pre-Approved Consultant List, in an amount not to exceed $200,000, for construction management, inspection and materials testing services for the project, and authorized the Public Works Director to approve and sign contract amendments for additional professional services up to 7%.
16. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY - Resolution 2006-224 adopted approving the Redevelopment Agency's use of $300,000 to purchase an exclusive land easement in order to provide access to the Tahoe City Marina public parking structure, and to make findings required by Health and Safety Code Section 33445, subject to the review of County Counsel.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS PAGE 4
JULY 25, 2006
ADJOURNED AS THE PLACER COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS AND
CONVENED AS THE REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY BOARD
17. REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY BOARD:
a. Purchase of Exclusive Land Easement - Resolution 2006-225 adopted approving the use of $300,000 to purchase an exclusive land easement in order to provide access to the Tahoe City Marina Public Parking Structure, to make findings required by Health and Safety Code Section 33445 and authorized the Chief Assistant CEO-Redevelopment Director or designee, to sign all related documents, subject to review of Agency counsel. MOTION Kranz/Holmes/Unanimous
b. Agreement - Resolution 2006-226 adopted authorizing an exclusive right to negotiate an agreement with Ferrari Corporation, Inc. to evaluate feasibility of projects on parcels owned by Ferrari Corporation, Inc., and authorized the Chief Assistant CEO-Redevelopment Director or designee, to sign all related documents, subject to the review of Agency counsel.
c. Housing Set-Aside Funds - Resolution 2006-227 adopted to recommit up to $1 million in Redevelopment Housing Set-Aside Funds to assist in the development of affordable senior rental housing in North Lake Tahoe, subject to review of Agency counsel.
d. Land Dedication - Resolution 2006-228 adopted authorizing acceptance of a land dedication, valued at $650,000, from the Tahoe Yacht Harbor LLC, and authorized the Chief Assistant CEO-Redevelopment Director or designee to sign all related documents, subject to review of Agency counsel. MOTION Kranz/Holmes/Unanimous
e. Jackpine Street Public Parking Lot - Resolution 2006-229 adopted approving the use of $48,000 in tax increment funds to purchase land coverage for the parking lot and authorized the Chief Assistant CEO-Redevelopment Director or designee, to sign all related documents, subject to the review of Agency counsel. MOTION Kranz/Holmes/Unanimous
ADJOURNED AS THE REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY BOARD AND
RECONVENED AS THE BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
18. COUNTY COUNSEL/CLOSED SESSION REPORT:
(A) §54956.9 - CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL
(1) Existing Litigation:
(a) Bickford Ranch Heritage Coalition of WPCARE; Town of Loomis; vs. County of Placer, et al.
Placer County Superior Court Case Number: SCV12793, Court of Appeal, Third Appellate District Case No.: C047630 – The Board had a discussion with Counsel and gave direction.
(b) Meadow Vista Protection, vs. Chevreaux Aggregates, Inc., County of Placer, et al., Placer County Superior Court Case Number: SCV19614 – The Board received a status report from Counsel.
(c) Sierra Watch; League to Save Lake Tahoe; Mountain Area Preservation Foundation vs. Placer County, et al. ( Martis Valley), Placer County Superior Court Case No.: SCV-16652 - The Board received a report from Counsel.
(B) §54957.6 - CONFERENCE WITH LABOR NEGOTIATOR – There was no discussion with the Board of Supervisors with regard to PPEO, DSA, or Management.
Agency negotiator: CEO/Personnel Director
Employee organization: PPEO/DSA/Management
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS PAGE 5
JULY 25, 2006
19. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS – Presentation of the “Placer County Meth Project” video produced by Placer County Health and Human Services, Placer County Administrative Services and staff from the Board of Supervisors.
20. PLANNING/THE NORTHSIDE (PSUBT20060278) REZONE FINAL ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT REPORT (PEIRT20050258) - Public hearing to consider a request from East-West Partners for the approval of a Rezone from RS-PD-3; RES-DS-PD-15; FOR (Residential Single-Family, Combining Planned Development of 3 dwelling units per acre; Resort, Combining Design Sierra, Combining Planned Development of 15 dwelling units per acre; Forestry) to RM-DS-PD-15; RM-DS-PD-6.0 (Residential Multi-Family, Combining Design Sierra, Combining Planned Development of 15 dwelling units per acre; Residential Multi-Family, Combining Design Sierra, Combining Planned Development of 6 dwelling units per acre) for the proposed Northside at Northstar residential development. The property (APN 110-080-015, 110-080-042, 110-250-001 and 110-025-002) is located within the Northstar-at-Tahoe development, west of the existing Village Center. The Board will consider adoption of a Final Environmental Impact Report (PEIRT20050258) for the project
MOTION Kranz/Holmes/Unanimous to approve and certify the Environmental Impact Report, adopt Ordinance 5427-B in Exhibit B, and adopt the proposed Findings as included in Exhibit C, subject to the Conditions in Exhibit D.
21. COUNTY EXECUTIVE – Presentation regarding Placer County’s Place-Based Planning Component of Tahoe Regional Planning Agency’s Pathway 2007, 20-Year Regional Plan.
ADJOURNMENT – Next regular meeting is August 1, 2006.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ 2006 MEETING SCHEDULE:
August 01, 2006
August 15, 16 & 17, 2006 (Budget)
August 22, 2006
September 26, 2006
October 10, 2006
October 23, 2006 (Tahoe)
October 24, 2006 (Tahoe)