COUNTY OF PLACER
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
TUESDAY, AUGUST 5, 2008
F.C. “Rocky” Rockholm, District 1, Vice Chairman Thomas Miller, County Executive
Robert Weygandt, District 2 Anthony J. La Bouff, County Counsel
Jim Holmes, District 3, Chairman Rich Colwell, Chief Assistant County Executive
Kirk Uhler, District 4 Mike Boyle, Assistant County Executive
Bruce Kranz, District 5 Holly Heinzen, Assistant County Executive
Ann Holman, Clerk of the Board
County Administrative Center, 175 Fulweiler Avenue, Auburn, CA 95603
FLAG SALUTE – Led by Thomas Miller, County Executive.
STATEMENT OF MEETING PROCEDURES - Read by Clerk.
PUBLIC COMMENT – Bill Lapham and Bill Indreboe spoke about the Winery Ordinance. Melanie Barton, Museum invited all to attend the Heritage Trail Event August 9 through 10.
SUPERVISOR’S COMMITTEE REPORTS – Supervisor Rockholm advised Michael Johnson is reviewing Senate Bill 375 (Steinberg) and meeting with other jurisdictions. He will be attending the Sacramento Council of Governments meeting on Thursday and will report back to the Board. Chairman Holmes read a portion of a letter from the Office of the Director of the Governor’s Office of Emergency Services commending Robert Miller, Mike Fitch, and Rui Cunha for assistance during the June 2008 lighting fires.
1. SHERIFF/PROBATION/DISTRICT ATTORNEY – Resolution 2008-237 adopted authorizing expansion of alternative sentencing programs for the jail pursuant to Senate Bill 959, Penal Code 4024.2, 4024.3 and 1203.016 for voluntary and involuntary work release, electronic monitoring and other alternative sentencing programs in lieu of incarceration. This action has the potential to relieve jail overcrowding and increase the likelihood that sentenced inmates serve their entire sentence ordered by the Court.
ADJOURNED AS THE PLACER COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS AND
CONVENED AS THE PLACER COUNTY REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY BOARD
2. REDEVELOPMENT/LAND DEDICATION TERMINATION – Public hearing continued to September 9, 2008 at 9:30 a.m., to consider adoption of a resolution authorizing termination of a land dedication agreement and re-conveying the property back to the Tahoe Yacht Harbor LLC and authorizing the Chief Assistant County Executive Officer-Redevelopment Director or designee to sign all related documents, and adopt a resolution authorizing the removal of the Tahoe City Marina Public Parking Parcel from the master fixed asset list. MOTION Weygandt/Uhler/Unanimous
ADJOURNED AS THE PLACER COUNTY REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY BOARD AND
RECONVENED AS THE PLACER COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
3. DISTRICT ATTORNEY – Presentation of the Citizen Recognition Awards for 2007, followed by a reception will follow in Conference Room A.
4. HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES/OLDER ADULT ADVISORY COMMISSION – Approved the Older Adult Advisory Commission 2007 Annual Report and reviewed and accepted the Older Adult Needs Assessment Report. MOTION Uhler/Kranz/Unanimous
5. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/EMERGENCY SERVICES - Approved by Resolution 2008-240 submission of the application for a Fiscal Year 2008 award from the Federal Homeland Security Grant Program (HSGP), in the amount of $760,578, authorized implementation of any grant award and any amendments thereto with the state for the purposes of this grant, and authorized designated staff to act on behalf of the County in all matters pertaining to a grant award.
6. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY/PLANNING/DRAFT HOUSING ELEMENT - Authorized the Planning Department to submit the Draft Housing Element to the California Department of Housing and Community Development for review and certification. Once the State of California certifies the document, the Housing Element will be considered for adoption by the Planning Commission and Placer County Board of Supervisors. MOTION Rockholm/Weygandt/Unanimous
7. ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICES/PROCUREMENT – Authorized the Purchasing Manager to sign the following:
a. COMPETITIVE BID #9824/PAVING SERVICES/PUBLIC WORKS/ROAD MAINTENANCE AND FACILITY SERVICES - Awarded to Teichert Construction, in the maximum aggregate amount of $465,000. MOTION Weygandt/Uhler/Unanimous
8. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY/PLANNING/ADMINISTRATIVE RULES WILLIAMSON ACT– The Board approved:
a. Resolution 2008-236 to update Administrative Rules for Williamson Act Lands in Placer County in order to bring the County’s requirements into compliance with State standards. The proposed updated Administrative Rules have been expanded to include comprehensive descriptions of the County’s administrative procedures to ensure consistent program administration.
b. Ordinance introduced, first reading waived, amending Section 16.04.060 of the Placer County Code (Subdivisions - Agricultural property), to reflect proposed changes to the Administrative Rules that would bring the Rules and Chapter 16 current with the requirements of Section 66474.4 of the Subdivision Map Act.
9. AUDITOR-CONTROLLER/COUNTY EXECUTIVE - Approved FY 2007-08 Year End Budget Revisions and Apportionment of Funds Consistent with County Financial Policies.
10. FACILITY SERVICES/COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE CENTER PHASE II PARKING LOT, PROJECT #4630E - The Board took the following actions associated with the Community Development Resource Center (CDRC) Phase II Parking Lot, located in the Placer County Government Center in north Auburn:
a. Approved Plans and Specifications and authorized staff to solicit bids for the CDRC Phase II Parking Lot, Project #4630E.
b. Resolution 2008-238 adopted authorizing the Director of Facility Services to award and execute a construction contract, in an amount not-to-exceed $1,900,000, upon review and approval by County Counsel and Risk Management and delegating authority to approve any necessary change orders consistent with the County Purchasing Manual and Section 20142 of the Public Contract Code.
11. PUBLIC WORKS/FORESTHILL ROAD BRIDGE SEISMIC RETROFIT PROJECT, CONTRACT 73226, AMENDMENT #1 - Resolution 2008-239 adopted authorizing the Chairman to sign Contract Amendment #1 with Quincy Engineering, Inc., in an amount of $3,537,000, for Phase 3 of the contract which includes Environmental Review and Final Design of the Foresthill Road Bridge Seismic Retrofit Project; and authorized the Director of Public Works to approve and sign additional amendments up to $200,000. The amendment for additional professional services will bring the total contract amount to $5,602,000. MOTION Rockholm/Kranz/Unanimous
12. COUNTY COUNSEL/CLOSED SESSION REPORT:
(A) §54956.9 - CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL
1. Existing Litigation:
(a) Kelley Gray, WCAB Claim, Claim Number: SAC 296528 and SAC 284644 – The Board gave direction to its negotiator Risk Management.
(b) Meadow Vista Protection, et al. vs. County of Placer, et al., Placer County Superior Court Case No.: SCV-22244 – The Board extended the contract with Rick Crabtree and increased the contract from $25,000 to $50,000.
(B) §54957.6 - CONFERENCE WITH LABOR NEGOTIATORS – The Board met with its labor negotiators regarding PPEO and DSA.
(a) Agency designated representatives: Tom Miller, Nancy Nittler, Mike Boyle, Valerie Flood, Anthony La Bouff. Employee organization: PPEO. DSA.
CONSENT AGENDA (Items 13 thru 28) – Consent Agenda approved with action as indicated. The Board convened as the Placer County Housing Authority for item #25. MOTION Rockholm/Weygandt/Unanimous
13. ORDINANCES – Second reading:
a. Personnel – Ordinance 5520-B adopted amending Placer County Code Chapter 3, Section 3.12.010, Appendix 1 - Allocation of Positions to the Engineering and Surveying Department, to reflect the reallocation of an Engineering Technician I/II position, Salary Range 103 ($52,310 - $63,584) to a County Surveyor position, Salary Range 456 ($91,333 - $111,010 annually).
a. Resolution 2008-225 adopted authorizing Agricultural Commissioner/Sealer to sign State Contract #06–0836 with the California Department of Food and Agriculture allowing for reimbursement for up to $2,376 for costs associated with detection trapping of the Light Brown Apple Moth in Placer County for Fiscal Year 2006/07.
b. Resolution 2008-226 adopted authorizing Agricultural Commissioner/Sealer to sign State Contract #08–0246 with the California Department of Food and Agriculture for reimbursement of $1,990 for Organic Inspection Compliance Programs for Fiscal Year 2008/09.
c. Resolution 2008-227 adopted authorizing Agricultural Commissioner/Sealer to sign State Contract #08–0282 with the California Department of Food and Agriculture allowing for reimbursement for up to $540 for enforcing mandated Nematode Control Program for Fiscal Year 2008/09.
d. Resolution 2008-228 adopted authorizing Agricultural Commissioner/Sealer to sign State Contract #08–C0028 with the California Department of Pesticide Regulation allowing for reimbursement for up to $7,520 for Pesticide Application Reporting for Fiscal Year 2008/09.
15. AUDITOR CONTROLLER - Resolution 2008-241 adopted approving Funds/Sub Funds for Fiscal Year 2008/09.
16. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS - Approved minutes of July 8, 2008.
17. CLAIMS AGAINST THE COUNTY – Rejected the following claims, as recommended by Counsel:
a. 08-066, Garcia, Lisa, $75,000 (Personal Injury).
b. 08-107, Yates, Janet, $570.80 (Property Damage).
c. 08-114, Nikrasch, Derek, exceeds $500,000 (Personal Injury).
d. 08-116, Connor, John, exceeds $10,000 (Bodily Injury).
18. CLERK RECORDER/ELECTIONS:
a. Election Services – Resolution 2008-229 adopted authorizing the Registrar of Voters to render Election Services for elections to be held November 4, 2008.
b. Administration - Authorized the Personnel Director to proceed to the Civil Service Commission with a request to reclassify and reallocate a vacant Recorder/Elections Manager position to an Information Technology Supervisor.
19. COMMITTEES AND COMMISSIONS:
a. Fish and Game Commission – Approved appointment of Karen Deaner to Seat 3, as requested by Supervisor Holmes.
b. Wastewater Advisory Committee - Approved appointment of Planning Commissioner Larry Farinha to seat 13, as requested by the Planning Department.
20. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY/ENGINEERING & SURVEYING/CALTRANS LANDSCAPE MAINTENANCE AGREEMENTS - Resolution 2008-230 adopted authorizing the Community Development Resource Director (or designee) to execute Landscape Maintenance Agreements (LMA) with the California Department of Transportation for County land development projects; approving the Placer County-Developer Landscape Maintenance Agreement template and authorizing the CDRA Director to execute Landscape Maintenance Agreements with land development project applicants.
21. COUNTY EXECUTIVE - Approved a 5% merit increase for Nicole C. Howard, Managing Accountant Auditor, from Grade 451 Step 2 to Grade 451 Step 3, at $46.0600 per hour, retroactive to June 21, 2008.
22. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/COMMUNITY GRANTS AND LOANS - Resolution 2008-231 adopted authorizing submission of an application to the California Department of Housing and Community Development for $800,000 under the 2008 HOME Investment Partnership Program for First Time Homebuyer and Owner-Occupied Housing Rehabilitation.
23. FACILITY SERVICES:
a. Olympus Village Sewer Lift Station Upgrade, Project 4677A - Resolution 2008-232 adopted accepting the project as complete and authorized the Director of Facility Services to execute and record the Notice of Completion. Project is located north of Dewitt Center, Auburn.
b. Agreement/Placer Union High School District - Approved an agreement from the Placer Union High School District for County Park Dedication Fees, in the amount of $27,000 from Recreation Area # 3, City of Colfax, for major rehabilitation of the tennis courts at Colfax High School and approved a budget revision appropriating the funds.
c. Sierra Joint Community College District/Sierra College Tennis Court Rehabilitation - Approved Amendment #1 to Agreement 12134 with the Sierra Joint Community College District to modify the scope of the project from construction of a new tennis court to rehabilitation of five existing tennis courts; authorized the Chairman to sign the amendment and approved a budget revision appropriating $34,125 in Park Dedication Fees from Area 8 – City of Rocklin area.
d. Contract/Building “B” at the Bill Santucci Justice Center – Awarded contract to Pride Industries, Inc., to provide custodial services for Building “B” and Resolution 2008-233 adopted authorizing the Director of Facility Services to execute the resulting contract upon approval of County Counsel and Risk Management, in an amount not-to-exceed $77,000.
e. Agreement/Sewer Maintenance District #2 - Resolution 2008-234 adopted approving a reimbursement agreement for sewer improvements with Lyle Ethington and David Hodson and authorized the Chairman to execute the agreement.
24. HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES/COMMUNITY HEALTH & CLINICS/RURAL HEALTH CARE PILOT PROGRAM - Authorized the Director of Health and Human Services to sign a Letter of Agency authorizing the University of California to act on behalf of Placer County before the Federal Communications Commission in matters related to the Rural Health Care Pilot Program.
25. PLACER COUNTY HOUSING AUTHORITY/SECTION 8 HOUSING CHOICE VOUCHER PROGRAM:
a. Received information from Smart, Inc., a technical assistance contractor from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), detailing the required duties and responsibilities for oversight of the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program.
b. Received information from the Housing Authority staff providing an update on the Housing Authority’s status.
26. PROCUREMENT SERVICES - In accordance with County Policy, non-contested competitively awarded bids under $250,000 are placed on the Consent Agenda. Authorize the Purchasing Manager to sign the following:
a. Competitive Bid #9833, Five Gas Electric Hybrid 4x4 Sport Utility Vehicles/Public Works-Fleet Services - Awarded to Future Ford, in the amount of $158,337.20.
b. Surplus Sale, Public Works-Fleet and Roads/County Executive Office/Office of Emergency Services-Fire/Sheriff/Facility Services - Declared vehicles and miscellaneous equipment as surplus and authorized disposal by public sale.
27. PUBLIC WORKS - Resolution 2008-235 adopted authorizing the Director of Public Works to execute a license agreement with Pacific Gas and Electric (PG&E) for the installation of “SmartMeters” at various locations within the County on County owned street light poles. PG&E will pay the County $1,560 for installation of the first two SmartMeters. The amount of additional revenue is unknown at this time.
28. REVENUE SHARING – In approving the following appropriations, the Placer County Board of Supervisors makes the finding that each and every approved contribution serves a public purpose by promoting the general welfare of the County and its inhabitants; therefore, the County benefits.
a. Approved appropriation of $500 in Revenue Sharing monies to the City of Roseville “Pennies for the Parade”, as requested by Supervisor Rockholm.
b. Approved appropriation of $500 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Roseville Chamber of Commerce “SPLASH 2008”, as requested by Supervisor Rockholm.
c. Approved appropriation of $1,500 in Revenue Sharing monies to the South Placer UC Davis “Breast Cancer Endowment Fund”, as requested by Supervisor Rockholm ($1,000), Supervisor Weygandt ($250) and Supervisor Holmes ($250).
d. Approved a total appropriation of $6,470 in District 5 Revenue Sharing Funds (Benefit Grant Funds) to the list of nonprofit organizations and events recommended by the Citizens District 5 Benefit Fund Committee. Tails By The Lake ($1,000), Wild Things Incorporated ($1,000), Foresthill Swim and Recreation ($600), Tahoe Rim Trail Association ($1,000) and Squaw Valley Olympic Museum ($1,000), Meeks Bay Volunteer Fire Association ($1,000), and Squaw Valley Institute ($870).
***End of Consent Agenda***
ADJOURNMENT – The next scheduled meetings are budget workshops, August 12 & 13, 2008. If needed, the Board will meet on August 14, 2008. The next regular meeting is Tuesday, August 26, 2008.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ 2008 MEETING SCHEDULE:
August 12 & 13, 2008 (Budget hearings)
August 26, 2008
September 9, 2008
September 23, 2008
October 7, 2008
October 21, 2008 (Tahoe)
October 22, 2008 (Tahoe)